Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ye Laws of the Land: LEAVE ALL PIRATES BOUNTY ALONE!!!

I suppose I've mentioned I was part of a fundamental Christian group at Georgia Tech?

It was strictly a men's group because the leaders did not want to encourage the appearance of impropriety.

Part of our membership included receiving a Ryrie Study Bible, which we could pay for, if we had the money, or not, if we so chose.

The Bible is one of the many books I keep by my desk to reference and understand my place in our species' place on this planet, this solar system and the tiny part of the universe as we know it.

This morning, while shuffling through my desk drawers, I found two note cards, each with a short theme or Bible verse, that the wife of the Christian leader at Georgia Tech made for us men to reflect upon in our academic studies.
Orderliness

Managing my time, myself and my surroundings so that I will achieve the greatest efficiency.

Eph. 5: 15, 16

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."
Money

Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you nor will I ever forsake you," so that we confidently say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid.  What shall man do to me?"  Hebrews 13: 5-6

These note cards and their themes are timeless (although the note cards are yellowing with age).  I have carried them with me from 1980 forward as a reminder that my time on this planet is limited and I am a regular person, one of seven billion, just the same as friends and colleagues like Marcus Hempel of Black Box - Germany and Carlos Hall of Avocent - USA.

It matters not to me what you call your emotion-based system of beliefs, just that you consider a consistent manner in which you live and in the way you interact with others.

Call them ethics and/or morals or whatever words are appropriate in your subculture.

It'll help you understand where we are going as we discover what's out there that we can't see yet.

In my life, I've seen that we often use rules, regulations, laws and religion both as crutches to prop us when we should be standing on our own and as a shield to hide how/when we're not following them.

Your life is yours to live, not mine.  All I want you to see is that we observe your behaviour at all times and re/calculate futures that we project backwards to now in order to determine macrocultural guidance we provide to you at the individual and subcultural levels.

Choose your system of beliefs wisely.  Live in a way that gives all seven billion of us a chance to survive.

And if you don't?  Well, that's where my network of colleagues and associates comes in.  You know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment