Monday, February 7, 2011

Family Lore

While watching the Super Bowl with my folks, I scanned 1284 family photos for sharing electronically with the rest of the family.

While looking through plastic tubs of photos, my mother found an undated newspaper article she had saved.

Interestingly enough, it fits into today's and other recent sports events/news involving Tennessee and Michigan players:
Fowler responds
From staff reports

ESPN's Chris Fowler made himself the focus of attention on the Peyton Manning Heisman Trophy controversy by referring to the "Tennessee Trailer Park Frenzy Talk" on a national radio talk show.  The following is a form letter he sent to Tennessee fans who wrote respectful letters.  The letter constitutes an apology to Tennessee fans and explains Fowler's use of the phrase, which he called "a stupid remark."

For the benefit of all area readers upset by the remark, Fowler's letter to fans is being printed in full.  It reads as follows [excerpts published in this blog entry]:

"Vol Fans:
"You took the time to write, so I'll take the time to respond.  Because of the volume of mail, I'll have to use this form letter.
"I know most of you are mad that Peyton Manning didn't win the Heisman and plan to stay mad about it.  You have a right to be disappointed, just as Peyton and his family were when the announcement was made at the Downtown Athletic Club.
"But the level of anger and hatred misdirected at ESPN, ABC, the media in general, and Charles Woodson himself has stunned me.  In response to some of the profane and incoherent message and physical threats I received, I made a stupid remark on the 'Fabulous Sports Babe' radio show that week.
"I prefaced the comment by saying I was NOT referring to the typical Tennessee fans, but when I used the word 'trailer park frenzy' I offended many people I didn't intend to.  The term was directed at the dozan [sic] lunatics who called or faxed with messages similar to the one I've enclosed here (unprintable).
"That type of letter was not typical of the ones I've gotten, but it represents a vocal, twisted minority.
"Nonetheless, it was very poor choice of words that made me come off like some northern snob.  My grandparents lived in a trailer park for a time and I was NEVER ashamed of it in the least.  By the way, I never used the expression 'trailer trash,' as some of you claimed.
...
"As for the Heisman decision, I can assure there was no TV 'conspiracy' to deny Peyton or crown Charles Woodson.
...
"To label me as a 'Woodson Fan Club President' is so offbase that it's ridiculous.  I never made a statement that Woodson SHOULD win the thing.  Truth be told, I voted for Manning!
...
"To assert that Woodson was 'created' by ESPN and ABC is a joke.  He's a rare and special talent, leader of the nation's best defense in the regular season.  I never want to be put in the position to attack Woodson's ability.
...
"Peyton Manning will recover from the disappointment of not winning this award.  It was never a priority in the first place.  I'm sure that standing atop a step ladder, directing the Vols' band in Rocky Top after his first SEC title was a thousand times sweeter than any award could be.
"I've known his family and Peyton himself since BEFORE he was Peyton Manning and consider his brother Cooper a friend.  I've never said a negative thing about his character or value as a leader, football player, or human being.  Peyton has a great future and his legacy at Tennessee is not diminished a bit because of votes cast by the majority of the Heisman electorate.
"So, hold onto your anger if you want to, but in the need to direct it AT someone, please don't misdirect it.
"Thanks for taking the time.
"Sincerely, Chris Fowler"

So, here's to Peyton and Charles - may you both end up in the NFL Hall of Fame one day, and may any angry fans out there rest well knowing that both young men grew up to be memorable professional football players contributing significantly to Super Bowl winning teams.

Oh, congrats to Green Bay, by the way.  My folks give a shout-out to Carroll Dale, a former neighbour of theirs, whatever he's doing these days. [Speaking of neighbours, my parents reminded me tonight that I used to be in Sunday school with Katherine Harris of hanging chad fame - many decades ago, we lived in a house her father owned in Florida - small world!]

Now, on to the lull that is the multimonth break after American rules football season.  Long live rugby!

Thanks to Jason and Shelby at Office Depot, Joshua at Chili's, Glenn's Florist and Tom's sermon about salt and light - we sometimes forget the example of ourselves we set in the moment for both ourselves and those around us.  And lastly, the choir and Maggie's oboe teacher's solo while playing Handel works.

No comments:

Post a Comment