Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cranking Up The Wayback Machine

Winter Storm Advisory

We’re in the midst
Of what the weather forecasters call
Blizzard conditions;
That is, we have 5-8 inches of snow on the ground
And the wind is gusting up to 50 miles/hour.
The official temperature is 25°F right now.
Some TV stations are calling this
The Storm Of The Century.
I can see why.
Snow fell in Mobile (two inches),
Birmingham (13 inches),
and Montgomery (3 inches).
Over 12 inches fell in the mountains
Around Mentone (the Lookout Mountain area).
Unfortunately for the birds,
I put the last of the birdseed in the bird feeder out back
So I hope they have enough to last them a couple of days.

- 13 March 1993

=     ==   ===  ====  ===   ==     =
Do Bookies Bet On The Weather?

I walked through the woods yesterday
And saw footprints in the snow
Left by many animals including deer, dogs and birds.
Some of the dog-size prints
May have been possum or raccoon since they, too,
Occupy the woods behind my house.
Several cedar trees and limbs had fallen
Or broken off due to snow.
Officially (so to speak),
I measured the snow in our yard on Saturday;
I measured six inches on the driveway
And thirteen and a half inches on the back deck
(An actual snow drift in Huntsville!).
Mount Mitchell in North Carolina recorded 50 inches
While Asheville had around two feet of snow.
Several cities from Alabama to Pennsylvania
Recorded new 24-hour snowfall records.
Therefore, news agencies labeled this storm,
"The storm of the century."
Also, I’ll mention several cities up the East Coast
Recorded new barometric pressure lows.
New low of 12°F on Saturday night.
Janeil and I will try to drive over the mountain
To work this morning.

- 15 March 1993

=     ==   ===  ====  ===   ==     =
Merrily, Merrily, Merrily...

Collecting my thoughts for another ride
Through the valley of no evil, paychecks or worries.
Not a lot to worry about anyway,
Just cruising along the highway -- literally.
I and the passengers of this car
Plan to spend the day
At the Starwood Amphitheater in Nashville.
I look forward to spending the day with friends
But I don’t relish the thought
Of sweating in the hot sun all day.
What the hell --
There’s always pain in pleasure.
Sometimes you just have to look
A little harder for the pleasure.
While aging on this planet,
I notice I allow myself
To let the thinking process slide by
Without recording the words on paper.
That’s okay.
I’ve been living a life
That doesn’t need to be on paper.
I live the eternal dance of BORNMARRYDIE,
which is a short version of
BORNMARRYHAVEKIDSDIE,
The ultimate dance of life.
Some people have argued recently
That MARRY should be replaced with MATE.
I respond to those
That in my world
MARRY is the word for MATE.

- 6 July 1993

=     ==   ===  ====  ===   ==     =

No comments:

Post a Comment